The title of this post gives it away, but it’s true, readers. I put in my notice at our CrossFit gym. It isn’t that I wasn’t still enjoying CrossFit, and it isn’t that I couldn’t do the workouts anymore, and it isn’t that I’m going to sit on my butt for the rest of this pregnancy. It was really a multitude of things:
- My CrossFit coach is including a lot of speed and agility work right now, which I would normally LOVE, but just isn’t my thing right now.
- It takes 20+ minutes to get to CrossFit, and only 3 minutes to get to the normal gym.
- I showed up one day, not knowing what the workout was, and it was dodgeball. (Didn’t seem like a smart idea for pregnancy.)
- Since my workouts are fewer these days (usually 4-5 days a week), I like to know what I’m going to be doing when I get there. I count on CrossFit for strength training, and when the WOD is something different, I find myself disappointed.
- I just have to modify a lot right now. It began to feel like I was going to be spending the next 4 1/2 months doing nothing but ring rows, push presses, and hanging leg raises.
My coach was super understanding, and said I’m still welcome to tag along with B up to once a week if I’d like to. I told her that I’m really hoping to fit it into my schedule post-baby, and we left it at that. I’m going to miss the CrossFit community! But at least I’ll get to check in every once in a while.
Since then, I’ve been using the Hard Body Workouts from Women’s Health (love these circuits) three days a week, and just modifying a few of the movements or swapping them out when I get bored.
If you’ve been pregnant, how did you modify your normal workout routine?
If you haven’t–do you prefer to know what you’re doing in advance, or let someone surprise you?
P.S. We are going in at 3pm for our 20-week ultrasound!!! Here’s hoping that Baby Hearn decides to give us a sneak peek between his or her legs :-)